Monday, January 12, 2009

Decisions and Stress

I teach an online course for DeVry University, and we cover all the same concepts that come up during my wellness coaching (which is great!)----but then, I also have to grade papers and discussions. I won't lie, its not fun. In fact, right now, I should be grading last week's discussion posts. But I'm debating on whether or not to go to yoga class this evening. If I do, I'll be 2 hours behind on my grading and have to go to bed much later than I want to. If I don't, I'll go to bed earlier, but I'll know I didn't work out today and I won't feel great about that. So I've just wasted 15 minutes contemplating (and writing about it), and still no decision and nothing accomplished.

For many people, decision-making leads to a higher stress level, and inability to choose---and a sort of paralysis. Have you ever felt like time keeps moving, but you're just standing still--even though you know there are LOTS of things you should be doing? That's me, now.

What can you do about it? Who knows! :)

Honest, I don't really know---its something you have to figure out on your own. Making lists works for some people. Weighing options, asking opinions, or flipping a coin might work too. The real point is to have a strategy for when these things come up. Devise a method (usually through trial and error) that works for you.

Most of the decisions we make on a day-to-day basis are inconsequential to our long-term well-being, but add them all up and they can make or break how you feel (and what you've accomplished) at the end of a day.

No comments: