Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Movin' on.....over?

In the next few months, there will be some wellness coaching changes at RIT (and maybe at Rotork too?). The plan for RIT is to expand the wellness coaching service to the entire faculty and staff (all 3100 of you). This is great news! If you're reading this and you work at RIT, maybe you already see the value in having a wellness coach---whether you've talked to me once or everyday since January.

Change is good---RIT is being a trend and example-setter for other universities and organizations. Offering health insurance is one thing, but offering a face-to-face connection with someone who can help you with everything from how to treat a bug bite to assisting you on your more serious wellness and lifestyle improvement quests, is taking it to the next level.

I've had a really good time here---meeting you and developing wellness connections and friendships. A lot of you know that I have another job too---I teach online for DeVry University. I really like teaching online for a few reasons (#1 may be that I can do the work at 4am in my pjs). I've been offered a teaching job with Axia College as well (this is the 2-yr school that falls under the University of Phoenix).

As a result, I need to move on from wellness coaching at RIT. I'd like to say it was a difficult decision for me to leave, but it wasn't. Have you ever had something just fall into your life and it just felt right to jump on the opportunity? I think this is what happened because I knew it was the right thing for me to do----and this doesn't mean I don't care about you :)

Nothing is personal in the world of careers. We are all replaceable (I may have told you this too, if we've talked about your job issues!). We all need to make decisions that are most appropriate for ourselves in any given moment.

A few other things I will have going on:
1. Being on the Board of Directors for the Rochester Autism Council
2. Doing an Anusara Yoga immersion for 9 weekends between now and May
3. Attending an Educator course at the Living Foods Institute for 45 days (split into three sessions) next spring and summer
4. Beginning to work on research projects extending from the methodology I used in my dissertation (narrative inquiry)

I'll be at RIT through the end of September, helping to transition in whoever takes my place. The plan for Rotork still needs to be determined!

I hope you'll stay in touch :)

No comments: