Thursday, May 28, 2009

Help! Please :)

Hello Friends,
Welcome to Thursday, and good luck to those of you participating in the Corporate Challenge tonight! I won't be there to cheer you on, as I previously thought, but I know you'll tell me all about it afterward!

Running is an interesting sport (is it a sport?)---some people hate it, some people love it, some people love-hate it (that would be me). I've gone in spurts of running and not running throughout my lifetime, but never taking it too seriously.

Now, I've signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October in Washington DC. There are a couple reasons for me to do this.
1. Joe wanted to and wouldn't sign up because he missed general registration--so the only way to get in is through raising money for a charity--and he didn't want to ask people for money. So I said I'd do it too, and convinced him the fundraising would be no big deal.
2. I think it would be great to say I've run a marathon.

That's it---no big goals (besides to finish before they open the road back up to traffic), no aspirations for wellness or anything. Although, I hear the psychological high is pretty good at the end. We spent a long time deciding which organization to donate to--and decided on one that supports kids who have autism. I have a special connection to this cause, which stems back to when I worked at Hanscom Air Force Base and led a phys ed/motor skills class for the group of special needs middle school kids on base. My two favorites (I know, not supposed to have faves, but who can help it?) were autistic, and I learned a lot about autism and children by spending time with them.

So, if you are inclined, I'd like to ask you to consider donating money to a really great cause (and as a side effect you'll be helping Joe and me enter the race). We decided we would both raise the required $500, and whatever our combined leftover balance is at the deadline (sept), we'll split the cost. You can donate on the secure website to either Joe or me, and you'll get a receipt from the organization.

Thank you :)

The cause:

The Organization for Autism Research
http://www.firstgiving.com/lisabeach4
http://www.firstgiving.com/joeywilliams

OAR is a national non-profit that provides practical information to the autism community by funding research studies whose outcomes offer new insights into the development of individuals with autism, with an emphasis on education, social life, and employment. OAR's information programs provide guidance on the best therapies and treatments for those living with autism.

No comments: