Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Be a Cheater

I'm learning American Sign Language (ASL) for work, and it has been very interesting and fun so far. At first, I was thinking I was doing pretty well at interpreting what the teacher was signing, but then I had a small part of me that felt like I was cheating----I read lips. When I admitted this to the instructor, she said, "Be a cheater!" Deaf people read lips too, and reading hands, lips, and other non-verbal cues is all part of the process.

I think wellness can be viewed in a similar way---use the contexts you have to be healthier without always having to put "wellness" into a whole different compartment of your day (i.e going to the gym). For example, don't be one of those people who hits the handicap button to open doors instead of using your own arm to do it! Maybe it only burns 4 calories to open a door, but what if you open 5 doors, walk up 3 flights of stairs, and take the long way to the restroom throughout the day? You didn't change the outcome of your day, you just snuck in extra tasks within the context of what you already do.

Add veggies to recipes that don't call for them. Do some deep breathing while you're waiting in line at the DMV. Do you have any other ideas?

No comments: